Through 20 years of hard-won experience Ben is an expert in insolvency law, company restructuring and commercial litigation.
Ben possesses a blend of practical and technical expertise, enabling him to effectively guide company directors in crafting restructuring plans for insolvent businesses. As a dual-qualified professional, Ben is both an experienced solicitor and an ASIC-qualified Restructuring Practitioner. His multidisciplinary approach to problem-solving allows him to identify and implement effective solutions for financial recovery and stability.
Ben is an experienced litigator who has represented a mix of clients in the NSW, Victorian, Queensland, and Federal Courts. His expertise encompasses all facets of insolvency law, such as personal bankruptcy, winding up applications, voidable transaction disputes, fraud allegations, and director’s duty claims.
Ben is known for providing close personal attention to his clients and for treating client relationships as his most important asset. Ben has had a wide variety of clients from industries such as construction, transport, retail, mining services, manufacturing and professional services.
Ben’s contributions to the insolvency industry include:
- Being called as a witness by the Federal Parliamentary Joint Committee inquiry into Corporate Insolvency in Australia
- Being an Education Committee member of the Association for Business Restructuring & Turnaround and contributing to training of certified Restructuring & Turnaround Practitioners
- Author of “The Construction Industry and Insolvency Law” in the National Building Service published by Thomson Reuters
- Strategic adviser to the Law Institute of Victoria (Small to Medium Practice Advisory Committee)
- Policy-making involvement in the NSW Law Society as a member of the Insolvency Business Law Committee
- Publishing articles and giving seminars for Chartered Accountants, CPA Australia, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Australian Institute of Credit Management, the Association for Business Restructuring & Turnaround, the Law Society of NSW and the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association
- International experience as a member of the International Committee of the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Teaching insolvency professionals the postgraduate Insolvency Education Program through the partnership of the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association and the University of Southern Queensland
- Lawyer, admitted to practice as a legal practitioner in NSW
- Liquidator (Restructuring Practitioner) registered by ASIC (Certificate)
- Certified Restructuring & Turnaround Practitioner (ABRT) (Certificate)
- Corporate Reconstruction Accountant holding a public practice certificate with the Institute of Public Accountants
- Master of Laws in Corporate & Commercial Law
- Master of Business Administration
- Graduate Certificate of Law (Insolvency Education Program)
- Law Society of NSW
- Association for Business Restructuring and Turnaround
- Institute of Public Accountant
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Senior Financial Accountant
Sean is a Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) with over 20 years of experience, most recently as a Chief Financial Officer.
Sean is a Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) with over 20 years of experience and a major focus in the Building and Construction industry, most recently as a Chief Financial Officer. He has the practical knowledge and experience to help companies sort out their financial position. He is an expert in cash flow analysis and effective accounting processes.
Having moved to Australia over 20 years ago from the UK, his expertise has been garnered over here – though he still talks like an Englishman, and has that charm to put you at ease.
Cash flow analysis
Poor cash flow is a symptom of insolvency and Sean helps clients by taking care of:
- Analysis of financial statements and management reports (trend analysis)
- Accounting reconciliations, payroll and ledger maintenance
- Co-ordination, collation and preparation of annual budget
- Managing creditors and debtors
- Advising different stakeholders of the business
- Compliance with statutory returns (including SGC, PAYG, BAS)
Effective accounting processes
To turn around a business, better processes may need to be implemented and Sean helps clients by taking care of:
- Setting up a full accounting function including the chart of accounts
- Implementing regular management accounting reports including profit and loss and cashflow
- Experience with all major accounting software including Xero, MYOB and Cashflow Manager
- All flow, invoicing, quotations and supply chain management
- Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA)
- Registered BAS Agent
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
Natalia Mariani is an Analyst at the firm and a foreign lawyer admitted in Brazil. She is currently completing a Diploma in Law from the University of Sydney and is training to become a lawyer in Australia. Natalia specializes in restructuring proceedings, insolvency related disputes, and debt recovery. She has experience in cross-border commercial and insolvency disputes and played a vital role in advising distressed Brazilian shipbuilder Ecovix on its judicial reorganisation plan.
At the firm, Natalia provides support on matters involving commercial litigation, insolvency, contracts, and debtor-creditor disputes. She is experienced in conducting debt recovery processes, assisting clients in disputes, complying with discovery processes, and preparing commercial contracts and deeds. Natalia is fluent in Portuguese and English, and has professional working proficiency in Spanish, enabling her to communicate effectively with clients from diverse backgrounds.
Bachelor of Laws
Brazilian Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute